A lot of love in the media the last few weeks for the Texas A&M basketball program and the job Billy Gillispie is doing turning garbage into wins, but the Houston Chronicle points out that the Longhorns are still the premier program in the state. The Texas program was never at the horrid depths that the Aggies were, but has taken it to a whole new level of excellence and consistency.
Some interesting facts from the article:
- Wins against ranked teams: Penders 10, Barnes 38.
- Trips to the Sweet 16: Penders 2, Barnes 4.
- Final Fours: Penders 0, Barnes 1.
- McDonald’s All-American recruits: Penders 1, Barnes 8.
- Weeks in top 10: Previous 92 years: 3, Barnes: 41.
- Only three schools have advanced to the Sweet 16 in four of the last five years – Duke, Connecticut and Texas.
- Texas is one of just nine programs to advanced to eight straight NCAA Tournaments.
- America’s favorite college basketball programs: Duke, North Carolina, UCLA, Kentucky, and Texas.